Old 25-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dwayne wrote:
I usually start mine in pots inside, 6 weeks before the last frost of the
year (I usually give that date an extra week or so, then transplant them
outside). I grow them in rows about a meter between the plants, and 1 1/2
meters between the rows. If you don't have that much room, plant one or two
and see how big they get. The seeds will be good for several years if kept
cool and dry.

If you are prescient, I can see why you are successful! How do you
tell 6 weeks ahead of time when the last frost will be? In the UK,
the expected variation is plus or minus 20 days - i.e. nearly 7 weeks!

I harvest mine after the stem is completely dry and very hard, but before
the first freeze. Then I lay them on the deck in the sun for another 10
days to cure (making sure they don't get frosted or frozen by covering them
or taking them inside at night). I still have one in my basement that was
raised last summer, so they store very well.

That doesn't sound like the UK to me.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.