Old 25-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Srgnt Billko

"DrPhil" wrote in message
. ..
I went out to crank up my OLD snapper riding mower with a B&S 8 hp pull
start riding mower and it started after a few pulls. It is leaking
gas out of the bottom of the chamber that is below where the air cleaner
is attached. There appears to be a small screen at the bottom of this
chamber and the gas is leaking out of this chamber when the gas on/off
valve is turned on when the mower is not running. After this chamber is
the bowl and then it is bolted to the engine. I had let it sit for a
year or so and couldn't get it to start so I cleaned the carb assy and
jets and that is when it started leaking out the bottom. Any ideas to
why it would start leaking just because it was cleaned ? Do I have to
buy a new carb to stop it. For now I turn off gas cock when not using
but was going to give to niece and wanted it not to leak for her.

Can't say I really follow your description but 2 thoughts - if this is the
model where the needle valve holds the sediment bowl on, I would make sure
there is a good washer / gasket - and I think they have one inside the bowl
and another outside.

The other thought is - what did you use to clean the carb - some float
needles have neophrene seats that can't stand some solvents.