Old 25-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Katra

In article ,
Elliot Richmond wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:20:05 -0600, Katra
wrote:

You can place a sheet of 18" aluminum roof flashing about 3 ft. up the
base of the tree all the way around it as a "sleeve". This prevents
anything climbing the tree. It can be removed when they are done
nesting. :-)

Thanks. I had something like that in mind, but I seem to recall that
there was something that could be smeared on the trunk. Like grease,
only more benign.

Elliot

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Ugh, but that's harder to remove!

The thing about the metal flashing is to not place it at the base of the
tree where it can be leapt above. By placing it a few feet up the tree,
the animal begins to climb then gets stuck.

I learned that trick for keeping climbing predators off of my pigeon
coop from a wildlife rescue group!

The flashing also comes in a brown color, or you can spray paint it if
you are concerned about how it looks.
--
K.