Old 25-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Warren

John Thomas wrote:
I realize they're pretty plants and are a blast to have around if you like
watching insects, but given it's vigor, flowering rates, overall hardiness and
other traits, why doesn't buddleia strike people as a potentially dangerous
plant?

Why in god's name would anyone dump something like this into the environment?
(If this was GMO corn, people would be burning down fabric mills in anger. :-)

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/invasives.html

Butterfly bush is not invasive. As the first sentence in the link you provided
states, "An invasive plant has the ability to thrive and spread aggressively
outside its natural range." That means you plant one or two, and eventually you
get dozens spreading from the originally intended spot. Butterfly bushes don't
do that.

Butterfly bush is a very aggressive grower. A single plant can go from not much
more than a stick with a couple of leaves to a bush big enough to hide a small
shack in just a few months. But you won't have a dozen new butterfly bushes.

It's a very aggressive grower, but it's not the least bit invasive.

You want to get rid of it? Just dig up the one plant, and you're done with it.
It doesn't send out runners. It doesn't reseed. It won't come back from that
little bit of root you missed.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
We're down to the wire. Do you need tax software?
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html