Old 25-03-2005, 04:16 PM
MM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:30:32 +0000, MM wrote:

My plot was the 'compound' during site development (the one place
where the builders draw off water and electricity). Over the
inevitable builder's rubble the developer laid a load of topsoil,
which has become compacted. There aren't many worms in it! How might I
improve aeration of the soil? I bought a soil aerator yesterday and it
works well, as the ground is very soft after all the rain. But is it
really going to do any good? I read somewhere that forking in some
organic matter could be useful. Would one of the bark-based compost
products be the right thing to use?

Additional to the above, what should I put in the holes left after
removing the cores with the aerator? Grit was one suggestion. At the
moment I have just left them 'as is', thinking of raking loose topsoil
and/or compost over the surface and raking when the weather dries out
some more.

MM