Old 25-03-2005, 06:08 PM
nambucca

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:30:32 +0000, MM wrote:

My plot was the 'compound' during site development (the one place
where the builders draw off water and electricity). Over the
inevitable builder's rubble the developer laid a load of topsoil,
which has become compacted. There aren't many worms in it! How might I
improve aeration of the soil? I bought a soil aerator yesterday and it
works well, as the ground is very soft after all the rain. But is it
really going to do any good? I read somewhere that forking in some
organic matter could be useful. Would one of the bark-based compost
products be the right thing to use?

Additional to the above, what should I put in the holes left after
removing the cores with the aerator? Grit was one suggestion. At the
moment I have just left them 'as is', thinking of raking loose topsoil
and/or compost over the surface and raking when the weather dries out
some more.

MM

If theres loads of rubble underneath you would be better to remove that
first

then dig or rotovate the entire lot
theres no substitute for good preparation if you want a lawn to look good
and stay good
If you have a riding school or livery stables nearby you should be able to
get loads of free rotted stable manure to dig in but at this time of year
you need to dig it in really well and you cant easily dig in straw bedding
like you can shavings