Old 25-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Rod

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:30:32 +0000, MM wrote:

My plot was the 'compound' during site development (the one place
where the builders draw off water and electricity). Over the
inevitable builder's rubble the developer laid a load of topsoil,
which has become compacted. There aren't many worms in it! How might I
improve aeration of the soil? I bought a soil aerator yesterday and it
works well, as the ground is very soft after all the rain. But is it
really going to do any good? I read somewhere that forking in some
organic matter could be useful. Would one of the bark-based compost
products be the right thing to use?

MM

I'd want to bust up the 'compound' area and remove the worst of the
rubbish. It's easier to do now than it ever will be again so grit your
teeth and get on with it even if it means not sowing your grass 'til
August (that's probably a slightly better time than now anyway.)
You can keep the topsoil -such as it is on top if you double dig the
plot, removing the rubble and busting up the bottom spit as you move
your trench along the plot. This is going to give you a summer of
healthy exercise and a much better easier to maintain garden in the
long term.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.