Old 25-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Nigel Cliffe

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
vsop wrote:
I've been given some seeds but no info on how to propagate the
plants......nor can I find any data in the local library.
Can anyone offer help and advice on rearing please ?

They are just another cucurbit - treat them like marrows :-)

Sow them indoors, possibly germinating them on damp kitchen roll
in a small pot covered with cling film. Sterilise everything
with dilute bleach, including the seeds and use that to dampen
the paper. Seriously. It isn't critical, but I find it helps
to avoid rot.

Grow them in pots until the weather has seriously warmed up, and
then plant them out. They like good drainage, ample water, warmth,
sun and (which growing) feeding. You could get anything from no
to six fruits per plant.

Additional to Nick's comments; they seem to like compost or rotted manure.
So, a big bucket of compost into the soil immediately where they are to be
planted. Or, if you have it, horse muck.

If you keep a horse, try planting into the muck heap !

The squash can be harvested in the autumn, and will keep in a cool store
room until after Christmas. Cut into 4cm cubes and stir-fry until soft,
allowing them to absorb other stir-fry ingredients.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/