Old 26-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Dwayne

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Dwayne wrote:
I usually start mine in pots inside, 6 weeks before the last frost of the
year (I usually give that date an extra week or so, then transplant them
outside). I grow them in rows about a meter between the plants, and 1 1/2
meters between the rows. If you don't have that much room, plant one or
two
and see how big they get. The seeds will be good for several years if
kept
cool and dry.

If you are prescient, I can see why you are successful! How do you
tell 6 weeks ahead of time when the last frost will be? In the UK,
the expected variation is plus or minus 20 days - i.e. nearly 7 weeks!

Our average last frost date is May 4. I add two weeks to that date. Last
year they still were frozen and I had to replant with a second batch that I
had started (just in case).

I found out from the local extension office of our nearest university
teaching agriculture, but most weather predicting offices should have the
information.

I harvest mine after the stem is completely dry and very hard, but before
the first freeze. Then I lay them on the deck in the sun for another 10
days to cure (making sure they don't get frosted or frozen by covering
them
or taking them inside at night). I still have one in my basement that was
raised last summer, so they store very well.

That doesn't sound like the UK to me.

You are correct. I live in Kansas, but ever since I found out what a
newsgroup was, I have been responding to questions for which I have an
answer, to the UK, England, and Australian newsgroups.

I have learned that if I have a problem, the more people I have helping me
solve it, the easier it is to overcome. I have been corresponding with Len
in Australia for over two years. We try each others ideas and suggestions
and I truly appreciate his help and ideas.

Dwayne

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.