Old 26-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Ann in Houston

`The pond has never been without a filter, and we used to have twice
the fish before we built the other pond. One reason I killed the algae
was so I could see the fish, as they were acting so ill. The other
reason was to show DH that it was not a runaway problem that would
require drastic measures. I did add bacteria at the same time as the
Algae Fix. It's too expensive to make a habit of using that stuff. We
both like to see the fish, but I would be willing to wait for the
plants to take effect, in most cases.
We have an ongoing battle about the significance of a little green
water. To him it's like not mowing the lawn or flushing the toilets.
It looks like laziness to him. He thinks it will make the fish sick,
and I am always having to remind him that the algae on the side is
beneficial. I think I will get him in to a basic pondkeeping seminar,
so it won't just be me, saying all ths stuff. I tell him that I
learned it here, and from reading books, but the pretty picture books
that you get in the stores address how to keep it down without
commenting that it's an optional thing. They also don't describle how
you can have a green pond for two months and suddnenly have it 'pop'
the way so many ponds here have done, when the plants were increased or
matured enough to finally achieve a balance.