Old 26-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Tim Tyler

wrote or quoted:

I planted some broccoli seeds (purple sprouting) last year and now
have plants a couple of feet tall. They have purple sprouts forming.
In one plant, these have opened into yellow flowers. So when we eat
broccoli, are we really eating unopened flowers? I never knew that!

I presume that now is the time to harvest, before any more open into
flowers. [...]

IMO, the flowers are best of all. However, there's a problem: once
the flowers open, insects tend to crawl inside them (to eat the nectar) -
and so you are probably no longer getting 100% vegetarian produce :-|
--
http://timtyler.org/ Remove lock to reply.