Old 26-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote after
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote ...

I have been given a plant that I am told is a grapefruit. Do they
have large spines? This one does. How old are they before they
fruit? Is any special care required?

Thanks & Happy Easter.

Isnt this a tropical plant?

Not Tropical as such but they aren't too frost hardy so need to be
under cover in the UK during the worst of the winter. I put our's
back outside last week but will watch the weather and if it looks
like frost again they will return to the greenhouse for the night.

Have you had fruit from yours, Bob?

We have annual fruit from most of our citrus but the best and most useful
are the Lemons and the Tahiti Limes both of which make shop bought ones seem
insipid. Excellent in a G+T on Pancakes in cakes etc.
Lemons have finished fruiting for now but there are small fruit that will
bulk up over the next few months and now they are out it won't be long
before they are in flower again to produce fruit for next winter, the Tahiti
Lime has fruit just ripening now.
On the other hand the oranges are usually dry and unappetising for some
strange reason.

--
Regards
Bob