Old 26-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Reel McKoi

"PlainBill" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:16:20 -0600, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

My 1200 gph pump is flipping the breaker. AAARRGGGHHHH! It's a

thermally
protected Beckett. How is water getting to the "juice?" I don't suppose
they can be fixed - anyone?

I had to scramble to hook up a 500 gph just to keep the water moving.

:-(

I've had this happen with two Beckett's. In each case, it wasn't an
overload, but current leakage that tripped the GFCI. If you
disassemble it, you can see the problem - the o-ring that seals the
motor to the housing.

## YEP!!! When we opened the pump about 1/4 cup of water ran out. We
allowed it to dry out all day and sealed it with GREASE. Hubby tightened
them nicely this time. Also, the screws were not real tight when I
unscrewed them - probably causing a poor seal. :-( Home Depot no longer
carries these pumps nor does Foster&Smith. We don't know if the is grease
will work so ordered another pump just in case, a Pondmaster Mag Drive @
1800 gph. Price w/shipping & handling came to $140.98.

I'd suggest giving it a week or more to dry
out,

## He wouldn't wait. We left it in the hot sun to dry and it was dry by the
time we got back from town. I would have waited a few days.

then coating the o-ring with either silicon grease (available
from a pool store) or rtv cement.

## No pool stores here. No one had heard of rtv cement at Lowe's or Home
Depot. All we could find was silicon "oil" so my husband used Dielectric
grease.

Since it's going into a pond, give
the rtv plenty of time to cure and the byproducts to dissipate.

## What is the full name of rtv cement? What is it usually used for?

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...