Old 27-03-2005, 03:07 AM
hippiechick

Default Need help with lawn!

Does anyone know how long vinegar will affect the ph of soil? We are
doing some work on my in-laws house and the backyard is all weeds, no
grass. Since we do not want to use any chemicals, poisons, etc. on the
weeds, I was thinking about dousing the yard with vinegar to kill the
weeds.

I've been looking on the internet, and some sites say that the soil
will be affected for 6 months, others say for a few days. I suppose I
could do a test spot and see if anything continues to grow, right? If
the weeds grow back fairly quickly, that means that the ph is back to
normal, and that we could grow grass after we get the weeds killed,
right? If we use the vinegar to get the weeds under control, and find
the ph of the soil is still off after a couple of months, can that be
easily corrected?

Basically we want to kill the weeds along the borders of the yard, and
maybe smother with plastic the middle part of the yard that we intend
to grow grass on.

Other options are tilling, but that sounds like a pain, and pulling the
weeds is not an option, as there are way too many of them. Also, the
amount of time we have available to spend on the yard is rather
limited.

If anyone knows the answer to the vinegar question, that would be
greatly appreciated, and if anyone has any other tips to get the yard
under control, I would be forever grateful!