Old 27-03-2005, 05:47 AM
~Roy~

My observation with folks selling koi is, they price a koi at a
Petshop or garden center and a 4" costs perhaps $15.00, so now that
the koi is 18 inches long the figure they can get big money for thes
ebig fish....usually not the case. MOre times than not, you won't get
even close to any amount to buy what your looking to buy. Unless they
may be some imported from japan and are some fine specimens, your not
gonna get much...............Unless you find an individuala that does
not know any better....

On Koiphen its common for lots of the folks to just give away some
great fish for free.........and I am talking fish the folks paid BIG
money for....Around here I can get 6 to 8 inch koi for about $4.00
each.....at the local koi farm.

Good idea to fill in the pond, but still use the waterfall etc by
filling it in with rock........

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:31:10 GMT, an old lurker
wrote:

===We inherited a 600 gallon pond with waterfall and 12 small koi when we
===bought our house. We've also got 16 month old twins. We're planning to
===fill in the pond with rock and keep the water feature until the boys are
===much older - then maybe we'll try fish again.
===
===Our local pond store suggested selling the fish, draining the pond,
===adding another layer of liner, filling the pond with quarry rock and
===then decorative rock on top. If we keep the existing pump and
===waterfall, we should be able to run the waterfall without having 2-3
===feet of standing water for our kids to drown in, right?
===
===Any suggestions for the best way to sell the koi? I'm not looking to
===make a killing, but hopefully end up with enough money to get all the
===rock and stuff we need to finish this project. We're in central
===Kentucky and the fish are 6 to 8 or so inches long and have all survived
===the winter despite our ignorance about how to care for them!