Old 27-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:52:52 +0000, Peter Hemmings
wrote:

Hi,

I have had two large conifers cut down (one was a Leylandi).
There is also a row of the very small leaf hedge which were next to the
trees. I have quire qn active compost bin and wondered if all the fine
"droppings" (which have accumulated over years) would compost OK.
I have about 3 barrow loads and was going to gradually add them over the
coming months.

Is this a good idea?

If it's an accumulation of conifer and other leaf droppings etc. over
several years, it will already be partially rotted. Why not use it
directly as a mulch?

When I shred Leylandii prunings I bag them up in old polythene sacks.
After twelve months they go back on the garden as a thick mulch (say
2"). They've mostly gone, twelve months after that.

--
Chris