Old 27-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 3/26/2005 10:20:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Be careful of bonsai books and articles written in or translated to British

English. Most Americans (I hope) have figured out by now that what the
British
mean by compost (potting soil) is not what we mean by compost (rotted
vegetation used to improve garden soil).

And when the British say "manure" they mean the American equivalent of
"compost."

Loam means loam in the older Bonsai books, they just didn't water as
often. Loam means a soil that holds together when damp and squeezed in the
fist. There is a technical definition that includes moisture content and how long
it holds a clump.

But I was puzzled for a long time by British soil recipes which include
"loam." In the US, loam is rich heavy garden soil.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++