Old 27-03-2005, 04:02 PM
an old lurker

"kathy" wrote:

You might call around to various stores that sell fish
and see if they know of a pond/koi club.

No such luck in these parts.

keep
in mind that you are going to need to get to the pump
from time to time.

dkat wrote:

Yes, I would definitely NOT fill the entire pond with rock (I can't even
imagine that much rock and then getting it out).

I don't know that we are ever really going to want fish in there again.
But I'd like to leave the option open for hypothetical new owners if
we ever sell the house.

The pump/skimmer set up is at the side of the pond, not the bottom, if
that makes any difference.

When they show building
water features on TV they often have cement blocks as legs to about a few
inches from the top. That is then covered with a heavy grid which is then
covered with rock and gravel.

We were thinking large channel rock from a local quarry (likely cheaper
than concrete block) with smaller rock on top.

You would have to remember to add
water on occasion since you can't see when the 'water reservoir's is getting
empty and you don't want you pump to go dry.

Of course. But without the fish, there's no problem with turning the
pump off when we're away or not going to be outside to enjoy it.