Old 27-03-2005, 06:11 PM
nemo2

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:08:24 +0000, nemo2 wrote:

Hi all,

snipped

However, I have a pond about ~600 gallons that is 21 months old

snipped

Regards

nemo2

Hi,

My pond is looking a bit better now having vacuumed it a couple of
times to remove as much debris as I could. There's no real sign of
string algae, but the water's a bit cloudy which should settle out in
the next few days.

I've taken some measurements and I don't believe that they are too
bad:

Water tempurature 60°F
pH 7.5
Nitrite 0 ppm (=mg/L)
Oxygen 12 ppm (=mg/L)
Total ammonia 0 ppm (=mg/L)
Chlorine 0 ppm (=mg/L)

As the water temperature was above 55°F I feed the fish and they
seemed pretty hungary. I ws please to see that the chlorine in the
pond was 0 ppm as I have a slight leak in my stream and have had to
replace about 25% of the water over the last 2-3 weeks and the
chlorine in my tap water is 0.25 ppm; need a nice day to sort the leak
out.

At the moment the string algae seems to be under control, if anynody
has any suggestions how I can keep in that way I would apprciate them;
prvention being better than cure. I appreciate that I need to cure the
leak in the stream asap as adding fresh water will promote the growth
of string algae.

Regards

nemo2