Old 28-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Hemmaholic

So far my experiences with planting "Easter Lilies" in the garden have
been good ones. They do require a deep mulching the first couple of
winters, but after that they seem to do very well in my Zone 5a
gardens.

CV is, therefore partially correct, since they do need to be deeply
mulched and perhaps planted a bit deeper than the Asiatic, Orientals
and others that are more commonly grown in our gardens.

Another Lily you will probably find as a blooming pot plant this time
of year are the LA Hybrids (Longifolium X Asiatic ) They also should
be mulched the first winter or so, but they make a lovely addition to
the garden. I find it is better to keep them growing in the pots they
came in until they have gone dormant and then plant them in the garden.
That way it is much easier to plant them deeper than you do other
Liliums. Some will even come into growth after a couple of weeks and
present you with a fall bloom or two. Perfect drainage is a must for
these.

Hemma