Old 28-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 27, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Lynn Boyd wrote:

Subject: [IBC] Soil Language Problem

In a message dated 3/27/05 11:36:48 AM, GOPHERHILL writes:
And when the British say "manure" they mean the American equivalent
of
"compost."

Oh dear, no. Manure means fertilizer.
Iris

But, Iris,

When I say fertilizer I do not mean manure - when I had
horses, I did not shovel fertilizer, I shovelled manure. I did
"compost" manure if I wanted to use it on the roses.
I never used manure alone - I was always advised not to do so.
Lynn

Bear in mind that the word "manure" does not always mean animal
excrement. When I was doing vegetable gardening people used to talk
about "green manure"--usually a winter rye or something like that which
could be plowed under in the spring to add nutrients to the soil.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++