Old 28-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Tim Tyler

MM wrote or quoted:

I think they last a lot longer than a couple of years. I believe
anything up to 10 years is fairly normal, and ages of 20 or more years
not unusual. The record is about 50 years for tomato seed, apparently.

``Scientists studying the origins of life have germinated the oldest known
seed ever found -- a 1,200-year-old lotus seed from China. [...]

Shen-Miller obtained seven lotus seeds from the Chinese village of
Pulantien in 1982 from the Beijing Institute of Botany. She determined
the dates of six of them and germinated four of them. The oldest was
calculated to be 1,288 years old, give or take 271 years. The youngest
was 95 years old. [...]''

- http://www.flowerpictures.net/lotus/lotus_seeds.htm
--