Old 28-03-2005, 06:15 PM
MM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:56:40 +0000, MM wrote:

I'd never heard of it, but the garden centre had a variety of
composts, and they also had this one. This stuff seems absolutely full
of goodness - what my garden teacher at secondary school in the1960s
called 'Oh Be Joyful'. I'm using it to fill the holes made by the
aerator. Finally I'm going to rake in a 1" layer over the whole plot,
as per the bag's instructions. Let's see what happens! I also found a
secondhand ex-library copy of Beth Chatto's The Damp Garden for £1.75
plus postage through Amazon.

The 4" deep holes I made with the aerator (approx 16 per ft²) are
showing signs of life after only a couple of days. I can see worm
casts, spiders' webs, and little insects busying themselves to and
fro.

MM