Old 29-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Harold Robbins

Austin around N. Lamar and Rundberg Lane had an incredibly heavy
collection of hail about the size of a quarter. THere were mounds of it
collected in low areas the next morning at 8:30 of almost 18 inches
deep. Where it collected from falling off some business roofs, it was
about seven inches deep. Throughout northern Austin there were shredded
leaves and twigs everywhere.

Harold

Jeff Walther wrote:

So who did and didn't get hail tonight (3/25/2005) and approximately where
are you located?

We're near Spicewood Springs and Mopac (a little west of there) and we had
1" hail for several minutes.

It looks like it totaled the 50 linear feet of peas I had going (about
1.5' tall) and the spinach. The lettuce looks like it may recover though
at the moment it's more or less packed in ice balls and I'm not sure if it
will melt fast enough to avoid freeze damage.

The asparagus is smashed, but should recover from the roots. The broccoli
is similarly in flinders and I'm not sure if it will recover before it's
too hot.

The potted plants on the deck were smashed, packed in ice, and the planter
cups demolished. Fortunately, I had the seedling tomatoes and peppers
inside, so I only lost four each more mature tomatoes and peppers, some
strawberries I was going to plant tomorrow and my basil adn cilantro.

The advocados are stripped of foliage--and they were looking so nice and
leafy this year. Sigh.

I've never seen a storm like that in Austin, and I've been here since '75
with a three year break from 84 - 87.