Old 29-03-2005, 02:16 AM
R. Santink

How long are your Anacharis before cutting? I have Anacharis that are
over 24" long in my tank, and they show no signs of wilting on the lower
portions. I have two plants that are about 30" and their bottoms are
as healthy as the rest of the plant, except of course for the tip which
is the lushest, greenest part

One thing I HAVE noticed with regards to cuttings, is that I only cut my
Anacharis (if I need to that is) once it has formed those long drop
roots. On my plants they often 'drop' from about the 6" mark down to
the sand substrate. I then snip below the root point, so that the new
shoot already has a root.

That said, you mention that the older, lower portion dies off. No
explanation that I can offer. On a not-quite-related-note, I have
Anacharis from my first purchase from the LFS, that are *still* 2" long,
yet they were bought in January, whereas the 24" + club were bought in
early March.

Perhaps different variants of Anacharis tolerate different conditions,
handling, etc.. ??

Out of interest, I will cut a 24" plant tonight, and watch what happens..

RAS

Aaron M wrote:
I've had similar problems recently, but haven't had a chance to research
it.

Nikki Casali wrote:

Do anacharis stems have a life expectancy? Once a week I trim the
bottom stems and replant. They grow about 8" a week. Suddenly, half
the stems have stopped growing, the leaves have turned brown and have
curled down. The other half are still growing rampant, seemingly
oblivious to the surrounding death.

What could have killed half the anacharis? I have a hunch that the
stems die after growing to a certain length, and that the half still
alive are the younger side shoots. I may be wrong of course. They are
growing in close proximity to a watersprite. Maybe the watersprite
leeches a growth inhibitor from its roots. Hmmmm.

NO3 16ppm
PO4 0.6ppm
Fe 0.25ppm
pH 7.25