Old 29-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Nikki Casali

R. Santink wrote:

How long are your Anacharis before cutting?

18" maximum.

I have Anacharis that are
over 24" long in my tank, and they show no signs of wilting on the lower
portions. I have two plants that are about 30" and their bottoms are
as healthy as the rest of the plant, except of course for the tip which
is the lushest, greenest part

One thing I HAVE noticed with regards to cuttings, is that I only cut my
Anacharis (if I need to that is) once it has formed those long drop
roots. On my plants they often 'drop' from about the 6" mark down to
the sand substrate. I then snip below the root point, so that the new
shoot already has a root.

I cut them too often from the bottoms for them to grow roots.

That said, you mention that the older, lower portion dies off.

No. The whole stem dies completely, from top to bottom. This is what I
have: stems that are completely healthy and stems that are completely
dead. No half measures.

Nikki