Old 28-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Brian Blazer

Default new vegetable garden 2 questions

Hello all,

I have a new veggie garden, and a couple of questions. First a brief
history. Last year my wife and I had a house built in NE Wisconsin.
When the landscapers put in the lawn, I hade them put in a garden bed.
Being very hard sandy clay, they dug down 12" and filled the area with
1/3 compost and 2/3 sifted topsoil. Then they ran a stub from the
irrigation system for drip watering. Nothing was grown in the area.
This year the plan is to raise the bed 10" above ground. THis brings
me to my questions...

1) What ratio of compost to soil should I use when filling the bed?

2) I am rural and have well water. It isn't too hard, but has a lot of
sulfur in it. Should the sulfur cause me any worries, and if so is
there anything I should do about it?

Thanks,
Brian
--
Nail a post to the Spalted Board. Free WW'ing software and forums.
Regular freebies! http://www.spaltedboard.com