Old 29-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Mike Lyle

Pam Moore wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:34:58 +0000, paul
wrote:

hi my wife and i have just started gardening.
i have been turning the soil, weeding and planting this week and

we
have both noticed that under the soil there seems to be

yellow/orange
eggs everywhere, they are about 3mm in diameter and when you

squeeze
them they are quite hard and they pop/snap and emit a white mucus.
ay ideas, i have searched the net and cant find anything.
you gardening experts can help me i know you can.
thanks in advance for the relplies.
paul

Sounds like slow release fertiliser granules, not eggs. Don't

worry, I
made the same mistake myself when learning.
Good luck with your gardening.

If these are in a new gardener's soil, they aren't likely to be
fertiliser. I know these things usually are, but I don't think
fertiliser granules pop and squirt slimy stuff from a hardish
"shell". They sound like the eggs of some living thing, and I
wouldn't worry about them at all: if it's a problem, the birds will
probably solve it. Just garden away, and you'll be fine.

--
Mike.