Old 29-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Joe Doe wrote:
I do not see much difference between say composted cow manure and
composted human manure.

Cow manure is usually devoid of things like drano, toilet bowl cleaner,
comet bleach, tide with bleach, etc. etc. etc. that human sewage is
accented with.

I know all those things go down but they are fantastically diluted by
normal water usage. All sewage treatment plants use microbes at some
stage and if the pollutants were so noxious they would definitely be
killed.

While there is no doubt that several organic fertilizers increase heavy
metal and other pollutants (coliform organism, phosphorous etc.) it is
also true that even after fairly heavy usage soil levels are not much
different from the levels of heavy metal levels naturally present in
soil. See for example:

http://www.ncagr.com/agronomi/hflyer.htm

Many other organic products have heavy metal contamination - they are
simply not that widely advertised. The same is also true of inorganic
fertilizers. Further, in an urban environment pollutants are regularly
coating are trees, falling on our lawns etc. etc.

I am neutral on sewage sludge - I would neither seek nor shun it. It is
slightly stinky though so it would not be my first choice. If the
original poster had Dillo dirt applied to his lawn it would certainly
not pose any significant risk. If applied in rotation with other
products any risk would be further minimized.

Roland