Old 29-03-2005, 07:56 PM
CanadianCowboy

Default my cheap pond story ..........

Don't let any "pond guys" tell you that you need this and that and
whatever to make your fish live.

My pond is only 8 by 4 and less than 3 feet deep. I only have 1
waterfall and a spitting frog for water circulation. NO FILTER and
NOTHING ELSE. I was told I need a bio filter and yet I have not lost a
fish all summer of 2004. I have feeder goldfish and NOT KOI and they
still lived. I get green water but I just replace the water every month
or so and get back the crystal clear water. I was told I need water
conditioners and yet my fish are healthy.

In the winter I was told to shut off my pumps and get a heater, either
floating or submersive. I just kept the pumps on and although the water
stopped flowing they generated enough heat to open up a hole and keep
the water from totally freezing. Winter is over and my fish are still
alive (over 50 of them) and they have gotten bigger.

This year I will put in live floating plants to help out with green
water. May I add that I live in Toronto, Canada which was harsh this
past winter. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise what you need for a
healthy pond. If you have a limited budget you can maintain a pond
without spending a fortune. Fish live in natural surroundings and don't
need all the bells and whistles that pond people try to load on you.

Thanks !