Old 29-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Phil L

paul wrote:
:: hi my wife and i have just started gardening.
:: i have been turning the soil, weeding and planting this week and we
:: have both noticed that under the soil there seems to be
:: yellow/orange eggs everywhere, they are about 3mm in diameter and
:: when you squeeze them they are quite hard and they pop/snap and
:: emit a white mucus. ay ideas, i have searched the net and cant
:: find anything.
:: you gardening experts can help me i know you can.
:: thanks in advance for the relplies.
:: paul

They are worm eggs...they are a sort of dark yellowish colour and with a
slight 'nipple(!)' at one end....if you don't beleive me, just gather a few
together and place them in some damp, clean compost, and in a few weeks time
you will have some baby worms.
I have seen this many times with worms I have collected for fishing, if
forgotten about and left for any length of time in damp soil, dozens of
these eggs appear - I noticed it just last week with worms collected last
October and they had overwintered in my hallway in a baitbox inside a dark
tackle box.