Old 30-03-2005, 07:14 AM
HC

G'day John

I have to agree with Trish and Len about Rattus Rattus, they do make a
nest for their babies and suspect your might have a native.

How about setting a trap that will catch them live, without injury.
This way you could examine and identify them at close range.

I'm not sure what is available on the market but some years ago I used
to have a 'possum' trap, that would catch the live possum by placing an
apple (or other fruit) on a hook attached to a door closing mechanism.
When the possum entered the cage to eat the apple the slightest movement
of the apple would in turn move the hook, which then released the door
from it's open position, thus preventing the animal from escaping. The
possum could then be relocated. Something along those lines would allow
you to observe the animal without any injury.

Would WIRES or NPWS have traps for loan or hire? Be interesting to find
what you have?

Bronwyn ;-)

len gardener wrote:
g'day john,

usually the rodents develop burrows for their nests and that is where
the young stay until they can follow around or fend for themselves.
the action you described sounds more like a native type animal.

maybe phone your local evnvironment office or museum.

let us know the results.

len

snipped