Old 30-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Warren

Gwen Morse wrote:
We have leaves mixed in with our bark chips (normal fall leaves that
we're just cleaning up in spring).

Is it possible to easily separate the two (leaves and bark chips) so
we can put the bark chips back down, or, do we just rake it all up and
get new bark chips? I don't mind the financial expense, bark chips
don't cost that much, but, it seems like a waste to bag it all up.

How about a leaf rake?

Don't press down. In fact, take a little of it's weight off the end. Just
lightly rake over the surface. The light leaves will generally ball-up, and
keep coming with the rake, while the bark chips will drop down, and go under
the rake. Sure, you'll pull a few pieces of bark, but once you get the
technique down, it won't be much.

If you want even more separation, rake them onto a tarp, and then shake the
tarp so the heavier bark drops to the bottom.

Afterwards, fluff-up the bark that's left behind, and add any additional
that you're able to separate. Then, if you need to, replenish with some
fresh bark.

As for the leaves, don't get rid of them. You can run them over with a
mower, or run them through a shredder. Or you can even just pile them up out
of the way. You'll have a rich soil amendment for next year.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html