Old 30-03-2005, 03:57 AM
RichToyBox

A fish pond is just an outdoor aquarium. It has the same problems as an
indoor aquarium, but it has the added problems of not being in a controlled
environment, so trash blows in, temperatures swing, but still an aquarium.
--
RichToyBox

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
My azolla and water lettuce are starting to show reddish coloration and
the water lettuce is losing a few leaves. Nitrates are nearly zero since
I only have 7 small, lightly fed fish (if that many) in about 70 gallons
of water. In a planted fishtank I'd add nitrate to the water. Should I do
the same in my 3 barrel pond?

I understand planted fishtanks well. Do I handle pond plant nutrients the
same way for oxygenators and floaters? I usually add trace elements,
potash(K) and iron to the water routinely, and nitrate (or even phosphate)
if necessary. However, I don't know if there are "gotchas" to ponds since
they seem somewhat different from aquaria.

Assuming that I do need to fertilize, can anyone suggest a good water
garden fertilizer that will work with a very light fish load and lots of
plants?

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__