Old 10-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] More on a Black Pine

In a message dated 2/10/2003 9:52:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Could there be other explanations for this? Is the new growth an
indicator the tree is probably recuperating? Did the repot
do more harm
than good?

Michael:

We all wrestle such bonsai occurrences.

1. Organics, cakes, WILL NOT, induce root rot. Root rot is almost always caused by excessive moisture resulting from overwatering or extremely poor drainage.

2. You tree may simply be suffering from inadequate feeding and compacted soil.

3. Do not return the repotted tree to the outside on days when the temperatures are below 40-degrees Fahrenheit. On days when the temperatures move up, place the tree on a slate slab in the sun and be certain that it is protected from the dehydrating eff
ects of the wind.

4. If the tree is pushing buds, DO NOT be concerned about the faded needles.

5. If it is possible that this tree was attacked by either fungus or insect, it might make sense to treat it, but I would like to see a new picture.

6. If this tree is not pushing buds, I would be concerned.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --