Old 30-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Charlie Pridham

"The Reids" wrote in message
When I first heard of the Eden Project I thought it was a great
idea - not only the regeneration of an obsolete china clay
workings, but as I fully appreciated the warm and wet climate and
the unusual plants at home here (e.g echiums - found in Scilly
and at 8,000 foot on Teide, Tenerife) I was confident this would
be an Alladin's Cave of wonderful and exotic plants here in
Cornwall. When it first opened, I was pleasantly surprised at the
reported crowds queuing to visit the project, I decided to wait
until the intital exitement had died down. Thinking that this
would be the right time to visit i.e. the plants were now better
established and the initial exitement would have quietened to
real plant/habitat fanatics I registed for the Eden Project email
newsletters in Jnauary expecting to be informed of the imminent
flowering of an exotic plant, I was advised of skating rink
parties and pop concerts....
We tried to visit the Eden project earlier today. We arrived by
car, logical, given we were in transit from Cornwall to London.
We were made to park some distance from the place and then
offered a contrived "park and ride" bus to get to the main site.
The fact that the project is in the middle of an area with no
estabished infrastructure, I couldnt see why it couldn't have
been designed so that we could just park near the site and walk.
We rejected the queue for the bus and forced our way back out of
the car park
Can somebody explain the objectives of the project?

Carol Reid

The car parks are very large and have been constructed to prevent a view of
the project until you get to the entrance, the near parking is reserved for
elderly and disabled people as well as buses (a good way to go actually) so
most of the actual car parks are a walk, they have sort of buses that
shuttle back and forth. I suspect that it was almost bursting at the seams
being as it is Easter holidays.
The object of the project was to try and reconnect people with plants and
all the things they are used for.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk