Old 30-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Treedweller

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:18:05 GMT, figaro wrote:

I'm not quite willing to
retract my statements yet, but I apologize if you felt I was
suggesting you had nothing of value to say. Stay tuned.

Keith

I am sorry about the tone of my response to you. I have a really hard time
deciphering people's attitudes from their posts and I generally assume the
worst because that has been my experience with people in general. I agree
that there are extreme differences between bonsai and landscape trees but I
think the biology is the same. I also agree with you that if you remove as
many roots from a landscape tree as a bonsai, you are in BIG trouble and
branch trimming may do no good at all. I had difficulty understanding the
original poster's situation without knowing the tree species or the age and
size of the tree in relation to the size of the roots to be cut and was just
trying to impart some general caution about trimming tree roots. I really
appreciate the respectful response you gave me. I guess I should give
people more credit but the lack of ethics in American politics and
corporations have spilled over into my personal expectation of the
population in general.

Don't worry about the tone of your msg--I have a thick skin by now.
I, too, misinterpret email and usenet sometimes. It's all part of the
game.

As for the roots-and-pruning question, I've only given it cursory
attention (been out of town a few days). The initial response I got
from tree guys was to agree with me that pruning should not be done to
compensate root loss, but that they have no source material at hand to
refer to. I hope to dredge up a little something soon.