Old 31-03-2005, 06:49 AM
jOhN

escape wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:36:14 -0600, dt opined:

Hundreds of dead grackles???

Sounds like either:
a. a good start
b. a drop in the bucket

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

You have no idea how horrendous this makes you sound as a human being. How
void are you to say such a thing like this. My heart goes out to such hatred.

I think I recall you mentioning you leaned toward Buddhism. I did a
little searching to help me understand your position:

"Buddhism, from its inception, enjoined treating all animals with
kindness and compassion as well as required the observance of a
vegeterian diet cannot be denied. The first or basic precept of
Buddhism, that of Ahimsa or Non-harming, decively prohibits the killing
and infliction of suffering on sentient beings, whether men or animals.
Needless to say, this precept cannot be reconciled with the eating of
animals flesh any more than it can with hunting, fishing, or the
butchering of animals! From the Buddhist perspective, the killing and
eating of animals not only violates Buddhism's basic ethical principle
of Ahimsa, but also creates a negative psychic atmosphere and
perpetuates karmic bondage."

If this philosophy is to be taken seriously then it is possible you went
too far in your verbal butchering of dt's comments and proclaiming him a
flawed person. It reminds me of a Mad Magazine 'Lighter Side of Growing
Up' when the mother is beating the son while saying," Don't (smack) hit
(smack) your sister (smack)!

Since I have lived way too close to several grackle roosts I can at
least understand dt's feelings. A couple of thousand crapping, shrieking
birds can get on your nerves after three or four weeks. I know people
that have seen "The Birds" movie that pretty much freak out when they
pass a big roost. Once I went shopping at Highland Mall and came out to
find my car was encased in grackle poop since I had parked under some
trees. It took 45 minutes to get the windows clean enough to see to get
to the nearest car wash. The sun had "cured" the droppings to dismay :-(

On the other hand, Victoria, your feelings of compassion toward animals
are also familiar and understandable to me. Who is right? Both of you
and neither of you --- cryptic comment

By the way and on-topic, the new Home Depot on RR620 close to 2222 has a
bigger garden center than most. They have a few interesting finds there
plus they are not very busy most of the time.