Old 31-03-2005, 04:22 AM
China

G'day Jim,
The conventional method of propagating asparagus's is to
lift and divide clumps when dormant. A strong garden fork, a small axe, lots
of bandaids and several beers. They are very tough plants, quite hard to
kill, especially when they naturalise, and are traditionally sold as
'bare-root' crowns. They love a neglected garden, and can make an area
unpassable when 'let go'. So I don't think you will have any problems, be
they dormant or not. Start potting up some crowns now so they can get
established. I understand that it can take up to three years to get new
plantings up to proper production and good stem thickness. If you have an
unusually good variety or a recognised cultivar, you might be able to get a
local nurseryman to do all the work in exchange for as many crowns as you
need. You may be surprised how many 'splits' they can get from a single
established plant.

100 crowns? You must have a bit of space to play with then,

China
Wingham
NSW
065