Old 31-03-2005, 02:24 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:34:34 -0500, Wildbill wrote:

Sorry about the signature, I usually post in the Asus group.

Back to Concord Grapes.......I love em!! But.....I do not know didly
squat about growing them.
An old timer friend of mine told me one time to plant grapes in "the
drip of the house" I am at a loss as to what he was telling me. He is
no longer around for me to ask, so I am asking for advice here.
Is it possible they like plenty of moisture?

Seriously mold is a big problem and I suspect that planting them in a wet
spot will make the problem worse. I don't know what works but I can tell
you what doesn't. I have Concorde grapes planted on an arbor in a shady
spot. I had one good year when I got a huge number of grapes, after that
it's been completely unsuccessful. My grapes do fine for a few months but
then they shrivel and die, The last few years have been very rainy which I
think has contributed to the problem. Last year I sprayed them with
fungicide at the beginning of the season but it didn't cure the problem.
This year I'm going to try monthly applications of fungicide.

Commercial vineyards have their grapes planted in full sun, if I had a
sunny spot in my yard (I don't) that's where I'd plant them.