Old 30-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
I have a spring fed, 18,000 gallon, 17'x47' pond that I would like to
add a solar-powered aerator to. Googling found several.

[snip]

Only 1 problem with a solar powered aerator. They don't work when the sun
goes down, which may seem like a duh! kind of response at first glance.
However consider that plants switch from photosynethsis to regular
respiration in the absense of sunlight, meaning they use oxygen instead of
create oxygen.

That's only a "problem" if you're actually relying on the aerator to ensure
that there's enough O2 for fish. In the first place, many of our plants
don't get their oxygen out of the pond - they take it from the air above
the pond - and secondly, if the pond is in an anoxic state to begin with,
it likely needs some source of aeration just to get plant growth started.
In the end, it's a good thing to get more O2 into the water, whether it all
gets used by plants at night, or not.
--
derek