Old 31-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Katra

In article , hayduke
wrote:

Katra wrote:
snip

I was blessed with a wonderful early morning experience a couple of
months ago in the parking lot at our local HEB! I saw a pretty little
hawk on the ground in one of the parking lot islands and on closer look,
of all things, it was a PEREGRINE FALCON!!!

Probably migrating.

It had just caught it's breakfast and flew off with it as I approached.
Appears to have been a female grackle.

Oh well! ;-)

I'd swear I saw a Peregrine Falcon diving toward a flock? of pigeons near
last week near S. Congress & Ben White. It was a fast bird with the
long tail and tapered wings and the pigeons were going every different
direction! It dove steeply then leveled off and seemed follow one pigeon over
the top of a building and out of view.

I got a rush out of seeing it, whatever kiind of bird it was. )

Well, I did call Wildlife rescue to ask about peregrines, and they said
that they were occasionally spotted in this area. Due to the time of
year, the one I saw was most likely migrating and I have not seen it
since, so it's very possible that you DID see one!

They are not very large, blue-gray body, speckled chest and a mask on
their eyes.

And their prey of choice are pigeons and other medium sized birds.

If Austin wants to control grackles, introducing peregrines would be a
very good way to do it and they happily nest on skyscraper window
ledges. ;-)

Yes, seeing a hawk stoop to the kill is a rush isn't it?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada