Old 31-03-2005, 04:19 PM
simy1

Jim Johnston wrote:
Happy Spring, all -

Has anyone tried to move an existing asparagus bed to a new location

and
been successful in that venture? If so, do you have any tips & tricks

share?

We're moving to a new home and I'd love to take my aspargus bed with

and
re-establish it in the new location. The bed consists of about 100

crowns
ranging from 3-6 years' maturity.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer!

Jim

as others have said, time is of the essence if you want to do it now.
In SE Michigan it would be too late, everything hardy is coming up
right now.
You could consider asking the new owner if you can remove half the
crowns,
then remove and replant them as quickly as you can (or keep them in wet
sand until ready), then do not harvest this first year to give them a
better chance to recover. Unless you have extreme clay, planting them
now, and topdressing later, should work.