Old 31-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

Around midday as I opened the back door a rat that was on the steps
jumped off into a patch of mondo grass and froze there for a minute.
I could see a baby rat clutching onto the adult's back up near the neck.

Now, I've never heard of a rat carrying its young like that, though I
have seen native mammals doing it in documentaries. So, before I set out
some rat bait I'd like to confirm this is almost certainly a rat. I'd
hate to wipe out a colony of native mammals living in suburbia through
mistaken identity.

Could it be an antechinus? I understand they can still be found in suburbia,
but i don't know how they carry their young. Check with your nearest museum
or zoo.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.