Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Jim Lewis

A hardware store near my house is having a sale on trees. They have
some America Red Maples on sale for around $12. However, they're about
6 feet tall or so, too tall for bonsai. Is it possible to cut them
down somehow? Is there a way to get branches to grow lower on the
trunk? Would I have to buy two and thread graft from one to the other
or something? Is trying to do this just a waste of time?

Not a waste of time, but a VERY long-term project. If these are
like most red maples sold at nurseries, they have very little
taper, so it will take a series of trunk chops to develop any.
Go to www.evergreengardenworks.com for an excellent article on
trunk development. But you're talking 5-8 years here -- or
more.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries
are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++