Old 01-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Martin Brown

Jo wrote:

Hi all,

my 6-year old daughter has discovered a taste for blueberies - ideal for her
mid-morning snack at school and highly nutritious. I love 'em too. Just
wondered if anyone has had any success in growing their own as they're so
expensive to buy. If so, what's the best way to go about it?

They will grow quite nicely on a patio in 12-14" pots of ericaceous
compost (or in the ground if you have an acid soil). You need two
different cultivars to get a fruit set - not self fertile.

You get a few punnets per year mostly all in a couple of weeks glut.
Require almost no maintainence apart from watering with rainwater - they
hate lime!

Worth looking round the garden centres for them (or mail order). The low
growing wild UK species of bilberry isn't bad either but more for pies.
you don't grow them yourself but go up on the moors to pick them...

Regards,
Martin Brown