Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:08:48 -0600, Katra
opined:

Why do I need a physical reference? ;-)
Personal observation is sufficient...

Observation is subjective, not scientific or objective. You made a pretty
firm
claim that grackles present a hazard to the health and well being of other
native birds and I am trying to check up on that. I thought since you were
making this statement, you must have read it somewhere.

Nope! I've simply observed that where there are large populations of
grackles, there are pretty much no other birds around...

In many years of observing native birds I've not known grackles to displace
or
present hazards to the health of any other birds simply based on their
lifestyle. They live in huge flocks, many times in parking lots, in city
trees,
on wires, etc.

Yes. And where there are huge flocks of them, there are no cardinals,
blue jays, mockingbirds, not even any doves!

Maybe a few sparrows are hardy enough as they occupy a slightly
different niche....

When making a statement, it is always useful to have a physical reference,
otherwise, we are left only to have information based on your perception.
I'm
truly not trying to be contrary here, but to let you know it isn't always
effective to make statements of such a nature without being able to back it
up
in some way. It leads to a perpetual ignorance, making, in this case,
grackles
out to be seen in a poor light.

All one has to do is to be as observant and see what I see...

I understand not liking them and their mountains of poops, noise, etc. That
is
a different set of circumstances which have nothing to do with displacing or
causing health hazard to any other native birds...which is my point.

Victoria

I think most people here will agree that where there are masses of
grackles, there are few other native birds around.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada