Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:34:41 -0600, Katra
opined:

In article ,
escape wrote:

I'm simply debating with you on something you are not correct about. You
draw a
conclusion based on misinformation and that is not fair in a civilized
world.
But then, you think all prisoners are lower than animals, so clearly this
is
going nowhere.

Now you are mis-quoting me!
I never said that ALL prisoners were lower than animals!
I said that most murderers on death row were lower than animals
as they have no respect for life!

Here's what you said:
shiver Congratulations...
I try to live with the concept of unconditional love,
but you've got me beat there! ;-)

Most of those inmates are less than animals. Inhuman monsters with no
compassion or respect for human life, or any other life.

That is why they are there!

I respect and admire your ability to feel sorry for them. I've not made
it that far yet in my quest for a compassionate attitude...

And BTW, I don't hate grackles. ;-)
I enjoy their mating dances too!

True, but you know dorned well that in YOUR post you (and I) were
specifically referring to DEATH ROW inmates! Death row inmates are
usually there for murder.......

Sorry, but their "backgrounds" don't necesssarily make them that way.
Everyone has a choice in life. I'm a big believer in personal
responsibility!

As a Buddhist I also believe in personal responsibility, but compassion is
free
and better for the body and mind than continual hating.

Compassion is fine, but would you turn these people loose to kill again?
Or worse, condemn them to live in prison?
Personally, I'd much rather die than live in those conditions for life.
Compassion can go both ways!

I once came across a poor possum that had been hit by a car. He was
still very much alive but his face was broken and both eyes had been put
out.

I took a tire iron out and bashed him on the back of the skull to kill
him quickly and mercifully, and put him out of his suffering.

I think that most death row inmates are suffering. The death penalty CAN
be merciful.

Can you kill out of mercy?

Thousands of people have risen about bad childhoods!
Not everybody with a bad childhood turns into a criminal or murder. Mine
was not that great. I was a victim of extensive sexual and physical
abuse as a child. I've risen above it and am a decent, tax paying, and
contributing member of society.

They chose to be the way they are! Nobody "made" them do anything!

I never said anyone made them do anything. I said I have compassion for
them.
I also had a horrible childhood. Nothing equal to some of the stories I've
heard from these people on death row and I was raped at age 11 and again at
15
again at 17. I feel compassion for those guys too because of the
unimaginable
amount of negative karma they have generated for ions to come. We have a
different way of thinking, Katra. That's fine.

Ok.... ;-)
I feel compassion also for them, but not enough to set them free to do
more damage to society! Yes, I still feel that some of them are horrible
people due to their attitudes and LACK of compassion, but being what I
consider to be human and humane, I think we are doing them a favor by
allowing them to pass on into the next life where Karma can judge them
and help them thru that badly needed transition. I don't think I ever
said I "hated" them. My high preistess taught me better than that.
Hatred os counter-productive.

Death can be merciful and compassionate!

I still have mixed feelings about poor Terry Shaivo.
I think her parents should have had more rights than the husband...

but that's another argument.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada