Old 02-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Halcitron

jetgraphics wrote:
I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea

of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping)

shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an

edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Pasta

Beleive it or not pasta makes a great seasonal sunshade, it is edible,
and can be colored to suit.

Pasta comes in many varieties: macaroni, spaghetti, and lasagne, to
name three. You can cover your whole house in pasta, and after the
summer, you can bring it inside and cook up some wonderful and tastey
meals, to last the winter. http://www.tdc.ca/pasta.htm

Where does spaghetti come from? Switzerland.
Thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded
spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop.
They are literally pulling strands of spaghetti down from their
spaghetti trees.

So, there you have it pasta is my choice for a sunshade. You'll have to
contact the Swiss if you want a spaghetti tree.
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=299048

:/