Old 03-04-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Vine that withstands freezing roots

I am looking for a vine that can withstand the cold in Zone 5 (Chicago)
in containers. I have 2 copper pots that are approx 36" high and 16"
square at the top (tapers down to base of about 8 " square). I am
looking to grow a vine (preferably fast growing) on a large trellis and
there is nowhere other than these pots to put it. I tried grape vines
and a couple of other things and they didn't make it through winter.
The location gets partial to full sun. The two pots need to cover a
trellis approx 20 feet long and 2 feet high above my fence.

I was considering clematis, but think that the metal containers will
make the roots get too warm, which I know they don't like.

Thanks